Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Not Cool--"Thank You Ashley Madison" excerpt


Sunday, June 9


     “I've been feeling very uncomfortable about the fliers,” I emailed Bling-Bling. “Promoting me is not cool. I'm just another drunk and I don't want any promotion. I know you want to boost attendance, but promoting me isn't the way to do it. Can we take away the fliers?”

     Tanya called and I told her, “I think I’m going to send Bling-Bling another email telling him I’m not going to speak at his meeting. I don’t feel good about it.”
     “I think that’s the right thing,” Tanya said.
     “Are you going to the seven o’clock meeting tomorrow morning? Will you get rid of the fliers you see? I’d do it myself but I can’t make it.”
“I’ll get rid of them for you.”

“I'm sorry to do this,” I emailed Bling-Bling, “but I've given it a lot of thought and I believe it's best I step down from speaking. My book was published two years ago and during that time I've gone to great lengths to keep my book and recovery meetings separate. If people want to talk to me about my book after meetings, fine. I'm sorry if this puts you in a tight spot, but not speaking is the right thing to do.”

     I felt better the moment I sent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment