Saturday, April 15, 2017

In The Sewer--"Thank You Ashley Madison" excerpt

Thursday, December 27

     I got my hair cut and handed my debit card to the receptionist. It was declined. JB drained the account. I used my credit card and walked out. Tom had spent the night at Mikey’s and I picked them up and took them to the archery range. An archery pro started setting up Tom’s new bow and I checked email.

     “I've asked my employer to begun (sic) putting the checks into my account,” JB wrote. “This will take effect in Jan so the next check will deposit as normal.  Also Stephen will be sending the (buyout) checks to me again. I will give you the lions (sic) share of this and promptly.  We need to agree on a fair amount pending the settlement. I will not let you or Tom go unfed or the mortgage unpaid or anything of the kind. This is advice I got a while ago but have been reluctant to follow it.
     “Once the change happens I will give you my PNC card and you can take me off the account.
     “I also reduced my 401K contribution to free up a little more cash for us every month.”

     My attorney told me horror stories about female clients and their children becoming destitute after their soon-to-be exes yanked the money. I was shaking. The archery pro finished adjusting Tom’s bow and took us to the range. He showed us the proper way to shoot and hung out with us for an hour-and-a-half. He paid more attention to me than a man with a wedding ring should. But I was grateful for it. My self esteem was in the sewer.
     We got home and I told Blake I was worried about what his father might do.
     “I’m going to text him right now,” Blake said. “If he wants any relationship with me, he better not fuck you over.”
     Blake’s phone rang moments later.
     “Hi Dad,” I heard him say. “Uh huh, uh huh, okay.” Blake hung up and walked into my room. “He said he’s going to make sure we’re okay. He better, that’s all I have to say.”

No comments:

Post a Comment