Wednesday, August 16, 2017

I Do Have A Soul--"Thank You Ashley Madison" excerpt

Saturday, February 9

     Rather than meditate and read something spiritual when I woke up, as planned, I checked email again.

     “I let Tom go to Cooper's sleepover,” JB wrote. “A little reluctantly but he really wanted to go.  I hope you had a nice time for your birthday. I left something for you on the porch, in case you didn't see it. I'll have Tom back to you at 1 tomorrow. I assume you want him at home with you next weekend, but I'd be happy to have him.”

     I walked out on the porch. There were flowers and a card on the wicker couch. I walked back into the house, tossed the flowers on the kitchen table, and opened the card.

     “Brenda, Happy birthday. I am sorry about the ‘Mad Men’ thing. It was thoughtless. Please accept the flowers as apology. And I do have a soul.”

     I threw the card facedown on the kitchen counter. I didn’t want JB’s flowers or card. I’d give the flowers to Jody when she picked me up for dinner later. She was taking me out for my birthday.
     I drove to the barn and galloped BlackJack around in the snow. When I returned, I picked the flowers off the kitchen table and held them over the trashcan. I couldn’t stuff them in. I tossed them on the front porch for Jody.
     When Jody arrived, I gave her the flowers. “These are from JB. I don’t want them but I hope you enjoy them. They’re lovely.”
     “Mitch is leaving me flowers, too,” Jody said, referring to her ex-boyfriend. “I threw the last bunch out. I’ll give them to you next time.”
     A cute little gift bag sat on my seat.
     “You didn’t have to,” I said.
     “I know, it’s just little stuff,” she said.
     Jody treated me to a delicious dinner of red snapper, hummus, and stuffed grape leaves. I opened my gift bag. There was a beautiful gold sunburst charm necklace with a card that read, “Accomplish magnificent things. Make a wish and put on your necklace. Get ready to accomplish the incredible! You can do whatever you set your mind and your heart to. Wear your necklace as a reminder that you are capable of anything you imagine.”
     I started crying and reached across the table and squeezed Jody’s hand. Hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment